WARNING: Be advised that some parts of the cafe are under construction and will be for the next month. Suggestions for alternate Saturday venues for future meetups are welcome.
This Saturday, we will be holding elections for a new ban committee, as per the previous email.
Since it will take a lot of the time and effort, the meetup is otherwise casual, with the suggested discussion topic of IRIS, Interestingly wRong IdeaS: What is an idea you’ve heard before that’s wrong, but which you benefited in some way from hearing about? Maybe it helped clarify your thought on something, or provided valuable insight into an opposing worldmodel, or warned you of a general failure mode in reasoning.
Reminder of how voting works:
1) You may vote as long as you are willing to serve on the committee (or served on this past one).
2) We will use approval voting, so vote for everyone whom you trust to be on the committee, including yourself. (No list of candidates, just name everyone you wish to vote for; if they don’t want to be on the committee, that vote will just be ignored.)
3) The top five vote-getters plus two alternates will form the committee.
4) Submit your vote anonymously in written form, taking care to obscure your handwriting. Votes will be publicly counted at the meetup.
5) If you can’t make it in person, pass your ballot to someone who is attending and whom you trust. Anyone present can pass on the proxy votes for up to three people. (Previous email erroneously said two.)
The meetup is at Central Market, 4001 N. Lamar, in the cafe area. Look for the LW and SSC signs. People start arriving at 1:30 pm, and the main activity will begin at 2:30 pm. Please follow posted guidance and notices in the store, and watch for construction in the cafe area.